Saturday, June 17, 2006

Celebration Day

Right then. Here's a few things to get excited about. Well, more for me to get excited about rather than you...but anyway.

  1. I got a promotion at work. YESSSSS!!!! Came with a handy payrise. Woohoo! Severe career progression vibes. Watch as I slowly slither up the corporate ladder.
  2. The 'Ryche is coming! Queensryche play in Melbourne in July, on their Operation:Mindcrime 1+2 tour.They have a place in the list of concerts to see before I die. Very happy that I can strike that off my list. Now if only the Beatles would get back together. Hmmm...
  3. Russell Peters is doing a couple of shows in Melbourne. Some of you may have seen the video of his stand-up. (If not, I suggest you do so quickly. He is really funny.) Hard to believe how quickly the tickets sold out. I had to resort to bidding on Ebay, but I managed to get my hands on some tickets. Looking forward to it.
  4. Then there's the World Cup. Probably the only sport that I have an interest in, but whattelouly game! Late nights and early mornings. I actually got up at 4.45 AM to watch Brazil play Croatia. Now that's dedication. Or lunacy. Depends on how you look at it.
  5. Did I mention that I bought a new laptop? Well, now you know. Now that I'm suitably broadbanded, the world is mine for the taking. All I've been doing so far is download music and play computer games. Broken Sword and Myst. Great stuff! Really great stuff! Finally got around to typing my first post on the new machine. This is it.
  6. With all the music downloads, I've discovered a couple of new bands. Finding new music gets me very excited. It's kinda like hot, raw, dirty, animal sex...only without the cigarette afterwards. Anyhooooo, moving swiftly along...there's this Australian band called The Church. Formed back in the 80's, but probably overshadowed by AC/DC, INXS and Men at Work. . Comes highly recommended to anyone who likes Dire Straits, U2, or the Beatles. I'd never heard of the band before, but you may have possibly heard a few songs. Check out 'Under the Milky Way Tonight', 'Reptile', 'Metropolis', and my current favourite "Numbers'. The other band is this UK band called Archive. Normally not the kind of music I'd listen to. They're in the Trip-Hop genre. But what they do, they do extremely well. There's this one song that I keep listening to again and again and again. It's called 'Again'. (Hah! I crack me up sometimes.) The original version is a little longer than 16 minutes, but there's radio edit version that's 4 minutes or so. If you like Pink Floyd and don't mind a bit of electronic music, this song is definitely worth it. Sounds especially awesome after a fat spliff!

And that's that. Now I am going to celebrate by doing what I do best...drinking myself silly. Might be a good idea to wait till the evening perhaps.

Naaahhh!

Waiting is overrated.

11.45 AM is as good a time for alcohol as any.

P.S. - The lead singer/songwriter/bassist for the Church has a blog. For those interested, check it out at Steve Kilbey.

6 comments:

visesh said...

phushtapal kangaroorelations on the promotion, new tap lop.

nekshtapal queensryche is playing there, very good, please bang your head for me, for every 10 bangs of yours one for me, thank you.

Russel peters is funny, i agree, some bikes thought he's so-so, may be he doesnt get their goat, but i like it, esp the one where its about white parents not beating their kids.

world cup, ah, the arabs are a greedy lot, only one channel shows the cup, the operators want 500 bucks just for a month for that, but all shopping malls have put up large screens and show all matches, so i have been answering "why are your eyes so red" type questions at work.

BooBoo lives, i think in the world of rabbits, BooBoo shall be a legend.

Anonymous said...

Rael,

Congratulations once again on the promo. And the lap top (hope its an intel :-)...... Me wanna get a new lappie as well, preferably one of the sweet mac ones.

Russell peters is hilarious. All of saw the video in gautham's place when fuzz was here last year. My personal favorite is the indian accent bit (excuse me can i get some painttttttu???)

And heres hoping the aussies pull of an improbable upset on those brazilians.But on the other hand, i am dying for a brazil vs argentina finale...so heres hoping for that

And once again congratulations and have fun boozin'

Vasanth

Anonymous said...

wah congrats. i could do with a payrise myself. the lottery, more like, hargh. btw i think i'm going to see Depeche Mode & others this weekend at the O2 Wireless Festival. more immediately, eng vs swe today. wonly on telly. but ideally placed at pub time.

Anonymous said...

Machi,

Queensryche completely outshone the band they opened for (Iron Maiden) back in September 2000 in the UIC campus...you're in for a good time...cheers mate!

Karbs

PS: It would seem I'm cursed to be called by a food group constituent...some years ago, I was called "fat"...then you guys call me "karbs"...and people out here call me "Special K"...which is a brand of cereal sold by Kellog's!

Anonymous said...

Machi,

when I caught them back in Sept 2000, Queensryche completely outshone the band they opened for - Iron Maiden. You're in for a good time...cheers mate!

Karbs

PS: It would seem I'm cursed to be called by a food group constituent...some years ago, I was called "fat"...then you guys call me "karbs"...and people out here call me "Special K"...which is a brand of cereal sold by Kellog's!

Tartrazina said...

be a man, do the right thing!! it seems you ARE - cheerses!!!